- A conversation with Dr. Robert Schmidt, spiritual director of Tayu Meditation Center. Rob Schmidt met and began intensive, 24-hour study with Tayu Meditation Center founder Robert Daniel Ennis in 1977. After five remarkable training years, he received ordination as a minister of Tayu, and co-taught with his teacher until Mr. Ennis’ death in 1998. His work with Mr. Ennis included co-writing and publishing a book entitled God Is Gay: An Evolutionary Spiritual Work. Rob succeeded Mr. Ennis as Tayu spiritual director, a post he still holds, in collaboration with yours truly. With Stuart Goodnick and Jim Wilson he co-founded Many Rivers Books & Tea in Sebastopol in Sebastopol, CA, in 2002.
Currently he’s collaborating with practitioners of many spiritual traditions to create The Festival of Conscious Parenting, a community event scheduled for 2014 in Santa Rosa, CA. Along the way, Rob completed a Ph.D. in anthropological archaeology at UC Berkeley, where he was co-editor with his grad student colleague Barbara Voss of the award-winning Archaeologies of Sexuality, the first academic edited volume to examine the phenomenon of sexuality as a object of knowledge in archaeological contexts.
- Many Rivers Books and Tea Website: www.manyriversbooks.com
- Tayu Meditation Center Website: www.tayu.org/~tayu/
- Old Many Rivers Blog: www.manyriversbooks.com/blog1/
- Website for the Festival of Conscious Parenting: www.festivalofconsciousparenting.org
- FaceBook page for the Festival of Conscious Parenting: FOCP